Print Motivation: Being interested in and enjoying books
- Read when you and your child are in a good mood. Stop if either of
you get tired or distracted.
- Choose books that you enjoy.
- Let your child see you reading
- Make reading fun! If children enjoy books, they will want to learn
Vocabulary: Knowing the name of things and events.
- Children's books typically use three times more "rare" words than
everyday conversation, exposing children to words they would not
- Talk with your children all the time about what is going on around
them, what they are feeling or what you are doing.
- When reading, expand on the story to add more vocabulary.
- The more words they know, the easier it will be to learn to read.
Letter Knowledge: Knowing letters are different from each other, knowing
their names and sounds and recognizing letters everywhere.
- Look for alphabet books and songs.
- Write your child's name or something that interests them (i.e.
dinosaurs or princesses).
- Make letters from clay or play-dough.
- Point out letters when you see them.
Print Awareness: Noticing print, knowing how to handle a book, and how
to follow the written word on a page.
- Trace the words on the page as you read them.
- Pick books with bold or unusual fonts.
- Point out the print that surrounds you everyday: on signs, at the
supermarket, in restaurants, and more!
- Let your child hold the book and turn the pages as you read.
Narrative Skills: The ability to describe things and events, and tell
- Ask open-ended questions such as, "what," "where," "when," "why,"
and "how" when reading together.
- Choose books with few words and let your child tell you the story.
- Let your child tell you about what they are doing, or have done.
- Ask them to explain a picture they drew.
Phonological Awareness: Being able to hear, and play with, the smaller
sounds in words.
- Expose your children to lots of rhythm and rhyme.
- Say nursery rhymes.
- Sing! Add actions to the songs you sing.
- Make up silly, nonsense words.
- Practice rhyming words.
pivotlab | Copyright © Bellingham Public Library