For more information, see our coronavirus (COVID-19) information page.
All Bellingham Public Library locations will be closed to the public, starting Monday, March 16 until further notice, in an effort to help prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). This closure follows Whatcom County Health Department recommendations and direction from the City of Bellingham.
“The health and safety of our community, our patrons, and our staff is our top priority,” Bellingham Public Library Director Rebecca Judd said. “As we see this situation develop across the country and world, more and more libraries are closing their doors to protect public health and safety.”
Judd said that while all three library locations and all drop boxes will be closed, the Library Board of Trustees, library administration, and City officials are working together to make limited library services available during the closure.
Library services available during the closure include:
- Telephone and email services: Library Ask Us and AskWA services will continue, and library telephones will be answered during Call Center hours.
- Online services: Online services are always available, including digital materials such as eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, online newspapers, streaming movies, research tools for online learning, and more.
Library services suspended during the closure include:
- All library locations closed: The Central Library and Fairhaven and Barkley branch libraries will be closed to the public.
- Meeting rooms: Meeting rooms in all library locations will be closed.
- Materials returns: All library drop boxes will be closed Monday morning, March 16. Due dates for items not returned will be extended.
- Programs and events: All library programs and events are cancelled. Proposals for new programs and events are suspended.
Library and City officials will monitor the situation and expect to make adjustments to services as needed.
For the most current information about library services, please check the library website, which is updated continually, at www.bellinghampubliclibrary.org
Rebecca Judd, Director, Bellingham Public Library, 360-778-7220 or email@example.com
Janice Keller, Communications and Community Relations Manager, 360-778-7206 or firstname.lastname@example.org